On October 24th, a serious bus accident took place in Bastrop, leaving 10 children injured.
Details of the Accident
On the morning of Wednesday, October 24th, a Bastrop ISD bus was struck by an 18-wheeler traveling westbound on Highway 71. The driver of the semi-trailer stated that he was unable to stop in time and instead took evasive maneuvers to try to avoid hitting the bus full of 20 children.
What ended up happening was the large truck smashed into the side of the bus on the intersection of Tucker Hill Lane and Highway 71. Other commuters stopped to help both the busload of children and the driver of the semi-truck.
Of the 20 students on the bus, 10 were rushed to local hospitals. The children only suffered from minor injuries. Both the bus driver and the driver of the 18-wheeler were treated for their injuries at local hospitals as well.
The Texas Department of Public Safety is continuing their investigation into the bus crash.
School Bus Accident Statistics 2007-2016
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) collected data between 2007 through 2016 about school bus accident statistics. In their report, they highlighted:
- Between 2007 through 2016, 281 school-aged children passed away in a school transportation-related crashes.
- 58 were occupants of a school transportation vehicle.
- 116 were the occupants of other vehicles.
- Approximately 98 were pedestrians.
- Eight were pedal cyclists.
The report also found that:
- Among the 118 occupants that were killed in school transportation vehicles, 50 were drivers while the other 68 were passengers.
- Impacts to the front of the school transportation vehicles caused around 45 percent of all fatal schretro-stylized-close-up-picture-of-a-school-bus-PLXLB3Tool-transportation-related crashes.
Have you or someone you love been involved in a school bus accident? The Houston car accident attorneys at Lapeze & Johns are ready to fight for your rights.
The Houston car accident attorneys of Lapeze & Johns have earned over $385 million in damages for our clients and have won 98 percent of our cases. We want to help you fight for the compensation you need to get your life back on track.
Do NOT hesitate to contact us at (713) 739-1010 to schedule your free legal consultation.