On the morning of Sunday, January 20th, a drunk driver injured a young woman and a five-year-old girl. Six individuals were involved in the accident.
Two victims were transferred to a local hospital with serious injuries.
The Details of the Accident
On January 20th, at about 2:00 a.m., a male driver, who had just left a local sports bar, crashed his red pick up truck into a black Cadillac SUV that was carrying four passengers, including two minors.
The wreck happened in the 7500 block of Harrisburg Boulevard. The drunk driver was said to have been driving erratically before he plowed through a red light and caused the crash. Witnesses confirmed other cars were actively avoiding the drunk driver.
Witnesses assisted the victims until first responders arrived. A 15-year-old passenger and the female driver were able to come out of the crash on their own. Unfortunately, a 24-year-old passenger and a 5-year-old girl had to be taken to local hospitals.
The older individual suffered several broken ribs while the young girl was recovering from severe head and spinal injuries.
The drunk driver and his passenger came out of the crash uninjured. According to police reports, the driver had alcohol on his breath, slurred speech, and had trouble keeping his balance. He confessed to having drunk five 12 oz. beers.
The negligent driver is being charged with two counts of intoxication. The sports bar, Time Out #1, where the individual drank is being investigated to see if he was overserved.
Drunk Driving by the Numbers
While drunk driving accidents have seen a reduction since 1986, there is still an abysmal amount of incidents that occur which can permanently change the lives of innocent victims. To understand the magnitude of this problem, consider the following:
- Every day in America, one person dies approximately every 48 minutes as a result of a drunk driving crash.
- In 2017 alone, 10,874 people died in drunk driving accidents.
- Drunk driving fatal crashes are four times higher at night than during the day.
- 68% of people who died due to drunk driving were in crashes where the drunk driver had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.15.
- In 2017, 220 children 14 and younger, died in alcohol-impaired crashes.
- Every day about 800 people are injured due to drunk driving accidents.
- Alcohol-impaired fatalities account for 29% of all traffic fatalities.
- Drunk driving costs the United States about $132 billion every year.
- 50 to 75 percent of people convicted of drunk driving continue to drive with their suspended license.
- About a third of people arrested for drunk driving are repeat offenders.
Have you or someone you love been involved in a drunk driving accident? The Houston car accident attorneys at Lapeze & Johns know how to fight for justice and your due compensation.
The Houston car accident attorneys of Lapeze & Johns have earned over $385 million in damages for their clients and have a 98% success rate for all of their cases.
Contact us today at (713) 739-1010 to schedule your free legal consultation. We will deliver the justice you and your loved ones deserve.