On September 20, 2018, at around 6:20 a.m., a major crash occurred along I-10 westbound near Major Drive in Beaumont. Three fatalities and several other injuries were confirmed as a result of the accident. Seven vehicles were involved, one of which was an eighteen-wheeler that caused a HAZMAT spill on the scene.
Details on Fiery Crash
Earlier that morning, at around 4 a.m., a white pickup truck rear-ended a commercial vehicle further west along I-10 near Goodyear. That accident caused one fatality and resulted in major highway congestion.
This preceding accident may be one of the key factors in the fiery several car pile up that was to happen later in the morning. A Beaumont police revealed that a lack of distance between the accidents, especially during the early morning commutes, could have increased the risk of the separate collision.
The fatal crash caused a major highway closure and delays for several hours after its occurrence. A thorough investigation was necessary because of the deaths that occurred. The fiery mess and a chemical spill on the highway created much commotion and a lengthy clean up process.
HAZMAT spills demand specific steps to efficiently and safely cleanup any chemicals that can leave harmful residue on the highway. The police department revealed that the traffic would result in delays for local drivers and drivers in route to Houston that day.
Statistics of Texas Highway Accidents
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, the number of fatal accidents and fatalities that occurred in 2017 happened more on highways than any other road type.
- Each month, there was an average of 129 deaths on U.S. Texas Highways in 2017.
- On all types of Texas roads, there was an average of 278 fatal accidents every single month that year.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reveals that there are three main types of distractions that can cause fatal car crashes that result in severe injuries and deaths.
- Visual distractions: Taking your eyes off the road, not being completely aware of the cars around you, or what is happening on the road.
- Manual distractions: Taking your hands off the wheel to grab something or use an electronic device.
- Cognitive distractions: Taking your focus off the road and failing to maintain safe driving skills.
What Can You Do to Speed Up Accident Recovery on Major Highways?
In case you encounter an accident on your way to work or when traveling along congested highways, there are a few safe driving behaviors you should take:
- Avoid being nosey or documenting the scene: You can get evidence and facts on the crash later that day through your local media outlets.
- Maintain a safe distance between vehicles: Allow enough room for the cars in front of you to brake so that you do not collide into them in a sudden halt.
- Take an alternate route: You can use sites like Google Maps or DriveTexas.org to find an alternate route to arrive to your destination.
- Drive with caution. Be attentive and patient when passing through or around a car accident site.
Eighteen-wheeler trucks that carry hazardous materials often travel along major Texas highways to deliver freight. They are prone to accidents, many of which can be fatal and prove dangerous to smaller vehicles.
If you have been involved in a highway accident and have been injured in a car wreck, fiery crash, or other accidents, call the professional Houston car accident attorneys at Lapeze and Johns for more information.
If you have been the victim of a multi-car accident or accident with a semi-truck, you may be entitled to a compensation. Recovering from a car wreck has it’s financial and emotional trials. The trustworthy attorneys at Lapeze and Johns are ready to fight for you to be able to recover fully from this situation.