The Edinburg police are looking for help from the public to identify the perpetrator of a hit-and-run accident last Friday, Nov. 6. The driver fled the scene after hitting and killing a 41-year-old man.
Police are asking the public to be on the lookout for a silver or gray vehicle that may be a four-door sedan with bluish headlights following a deadly hit-and-run accident in Edinburg.
The accident occurred just after 11 p.m. at the intersection of Cano Street and 21st Avenue, and the vehicle was last seen traveling south on 21st. It is believed that the driver is a male who was traveling with one other passenger.
The vehicle hit a 41-year-old male pedestrian who was transported to a hospital prior to succumbing to the injuries he sustained.
Hit-and-Runs in Texas
According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, over 680,000 hit-and-run accidents occur each year in the United States. The number of fatalities that resulted from these crashes peaked in 2016 at 2,049.
That death rate shows a 60% increase from 2009, with each year since 2009 seeing a 7.2% increase on average. Most of the affected individuals–around 65 percent–are bicyclists and pedestrians. Texas hit a peak of its hit-and-run fatalities in 2018 and has ranked eight in the country for these types of accidents.
What to Do After a Hit-and-Run
Drivers are expected to call emergency services and assist injured parties if possible until those authorities arrive. However, in the case of a hit-and-run accident, you may be left injured, alone, and confused about what just happened.
In that case, there are a few simple steps you can follow to help you stay calm and safe:
- Identify the perpetrator — If safe and possible, try to identify the license plate, make, or model of the vehicle that hit you or your car.
- Stay safe — Do not try to stop the car that hit you; move out of the line of traffic if you can do so safely.
- Call the police — Give the police as many details about the driver and their vehicle as possible.
- Gather evidence — If you can do so safely, photograph any factors that may have contributed to the accident and any damage that was done to you or your vehicle, and gather potential witness’ contact information as well.
- Seek medical attention — See a medical professional as soon as possible to connect your injuries to the car accident.
- Seek legal assistance — An experienced Houston hit-and-run car accident attorney can help you seek the financial relief you need to cover costs associated with medical and rehabilitation costs and damages to your property.
Car accidents can be confusing, and it’s easy to get overwhelmed and panic. To avoid these accidents, stay alert to pedestrians, some of whom move in unexpected and sudden ways, and if you do hit someone, stay calm and lend what assistance you safely can.
Should you be struck by a car while walking on the sidewalk or crossing a crosswalk and left alone, get medical assistance, talk with the police, and reach out to a Houston car accident attorney for experienced legal representation.
If you or a loved one were injured in a hit-and-run accident, the Houston car accident attorneys of Lapeze & Johns can help you seek financial relief.
Source: The Brownsville Herald