Car Accident Attorneys Fighting for Texans in Shepherd, Texas
No matter the size of a city, car accidents can happen at any time, and Shepherd, Texas, is no exception. In 2021, 35 car crashes occurred, and 92 individuals were involved in an accident. Thankfully, zero of these crashes ended in a fatality or serious injury.
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you may need the help of an experienced car accident attorney. Keep reading to find out how you can get help in your fight for justice after your Shepherd, Texas, car crash.
7 Steps to Take After a Car Accident
The sudden impact of a car accident can be a shock to you and your passengers, so it’s important to know what to do after the crash.
- Check for Injuries – After a car crash, check yourself over for any injuries first, and then see if your passengers are injured.
- Get to Safety – If you’re in danger of being hit by passing vehicles, wait for traffic to clear and get yourself and others away from the road or other risks.
- Call for Help – Call 9-1-1 for an ambulance and police to come to the scene. You can have someone else call as well.
- Check on the Other Driver – See if the other driver is okay and let them know you’ve called for help.
- Exchange Information – Make sure you get the other driver’s information, including contact info, insurance company and policy number, and driver’s license and license plate number.
- Document the Accident – Take pictures and make a note on your phone of any information you may need later, including the contact information for any witnesses.
- Notify Insurance – Let your insurance know as soon as possible that you were involved in a car accident. This allows the claim process to get started quickly.
- Get an Attorney – Some accidents that don’t involve injuries or only have resulted in a minor scratch may not need the help of legal representation. However, you may benefit from discussing the case with a car crash attorney if your accident involves multiple vehicles, a truck, or injuries.
Each car crash is different, and priorities may adjust as needed. For example, in a side scrape accident in a parking lot where no one was injured, you won’t need to call for an ambulance.
What Are Economic and Non-Economic Damages?
Damages from car accidents are grouped into two main categories called economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages have a fixed monetary value applied to them; on the other hand, non-economic damages don’t have a predetermined monetary value.
- Medical bills
- Therapy expenses
- Property damage
- Lowered earning power
- Lost wages
- Mental suffering
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional stress
Fight for Justice in Your Accident Case With Lapeze & Johns
Car accidents can leave you suffering not only physically but financially. But you don’t have to fight alone against the insurance companies or the other driver. With our experienced team of Houston car accident attorneys at Lapeze & Johns, you can find a trustworthy team willing to discuss your case with you.