A truck accident involving a passenger vehicle resulted in the death of one Texas man. Authorities believe poor weather conditions may have played a role in the crash.
About the Houston Accident
At 4 a.m. on Tuesday, May 26, a deadly crash occurred between an 18-wheeler and the driver of a passenger vehicle. The collision happened in northeast Houston near Homestead Road in the 7000 block of North Loop East. The driver was attempting to get off the freeway when he lost control of his vehicle and rammed into an 18-wheeler that was parked on the shoulder with its hazard lights flashing.
The driver of the passenger vehicle was killed in the collision. The individual was a father of four and is survived by his father.
Currently, authorities are investigating whether or not alcohol or poor weather conditions may have contributed to the crash.
Texas Truck Accident Statistics
Accidents involving commercial trucks can be especially devastating. The weight and size of these trucks make it much more likely that any other vehicles involved will be seriously damaged, putting drivers and passengers at great risk.
The Texas Department of Transportation offers statistics highlighting the dangers of truck accidents:
- In total, there were more than 37,000 crashes involving commercial vehicles in Texas in 2018.
- 536 fatal crashes involving commercial vehicles occurred in 2018, resulting in 611 deaths.
- Commercial vehicle crashes resulted in an estimated 1,367 serious injuries and nearly 8,500 suspected injuries in total.
- Dallas and Harris Counties tied for the highest number of fatalities caused by commercial vehicle crashes at 29 apiece.
- Harris County had the highest number of commercial vehicle crashes by far, at nearly 6,000 compared to Dallas county’s roughly 4,000 crashes.
Damages Awarded for Truck Accidents and Wrongful Death Claims
The types of damages usually awarded for car and truck accidents fall into two categories: economic and non-economic. Economic damages can be calculated exactly in financial terms, while non-economic damages have no exact monetary equivalent.
Economic damages might include lost wages, while non-economic damages may include reduced quality of life.
The damages awarded to the families of those killed in a wrongful death case fall into those same categories. Damages awarded may include but are not limited to:
- Lost earning capacity
- Lost care or services
- Mental anguish
- Lost love or companionship
- Lost inheritance
Lapeze & Johns: Your Houston Truck Accident Lawyers
If you’ve been involved in a car or truck accident, you may want to seek the assistance of a personal injury or truck accident attorney. Legal counsel can help you take the steps to reach recovery by seeking compensation for any damages you or a loved one have sustained.
If you’re looking for a dedicated Houston truck accident attorney to fight for your rights, look no further than the dedicated team at Lapeze & Johns.