Victims of truck accidents may not know who to turn to in a time of confusion and pain, and it doesn’t help that truck accident claims are legally complex and time-sensitive. For these factors alone, it becomes beneficial to find experienced legal representation to present your case in civil court, if needed.
Know that the Houston truck accident attorneys of Lapeze & Johns offer you 100 percent of their legal support in your time of need. With accurate representation, our experienced truck accident attorneys have the skill to earn the settlement you deserve for your truck accident injuries caused by negligent drivers and, if need be, can take your case to civil court.
In an effort to make a confusing situation less so, our truck accident attorneys want to discuss the questions victims should ask themselves after a truck accident in order to gain a little more clarity in their fight for maximum monetary compensation.
1. What Should I Do if A Truck Has Hit Me?
If you or a loved one have been struck by a large commercial truck, the following four steps should be made a priority:
- Seek Medical Attention Immediately – If an ambulance arrives at the scene, seek aid. It is crucial and time-sensitive to assess your injuries after an accident. Some injuries will become more apparent with time; however, a professional medical examination can best determine what injuries you suffered more accurately.
- Call the Authorities – The local police department will create an accident report and conduct an investigation into the crash in order to highlight possible crash factors that may later serve to support your claim.
- Stay Safe if in Traffic’s Way – After you have been hit by a truck, you should try and move your car–if it isn’t totaled, out of commission, or would further cause injury–out of traffic’s way to avoid another collision from oncoming traffic. Take pictures of the vehicle prior to moving your car, unless doing so would be putting your safety at risk.
- Gather Information – If the accident occurred on a busy road, it is likely that there are some eyewitnesses whose testimonies can be used to support your claim. Ask for the eyewitness’ contact information at the scene, and if you physically cannot do so, ask a loved one to gather the information.
Taking on these four steps is crucial to securing documentation that can help prove that the truck driver that caused your accident is liable for your injuries.
2. Do I Need to Hire an Attorney?
Given the gargantuan and dangerous nature of commercial trucks, injuries and damages suffered in truck accidents can be more severe. The owner of the truck company, the driver, inspection specialists, and even truck part manufacturers owe a duty to the safe operation of large trucks. Failure at any of these junctions can warrant a truck accident claim by a victim injured due to any of these entities’ negligence.
You will need the help of a skilled attorney to determine the cause of the crash and find strong evidence to hold the designated culprit accountable, and not any regular lawyer will do. With over 30 years of experience in representing victims of careless truck accidents across Houston, the Gulf Coast, and the country, the truck accident attorneys of Lapeze & Johns know exactly what you need to win maximum monetary compensation.
3. How Are Truck Accidents More Dangerous Than Regular Accidents?
The average dimensions of an 18-wheeler are over 50 ft long and can weigh as much as 16 times that of a normal passenger car. Because of their sheer size, braking for a large truck is something that has to be done well in advance with plenty of room ahead.
When traveling at highway speed, a large truck will need 350 ft to come to a complete rest. Following too closely to a large truck or giving them very limited space in front can cause an impact that results in a number of serious injuries, and quite possibly, death.
More than this, a dangerous event that occurs when large trucks collide called jackknifing. When a truck jackknifes, the cab and the trailer fold inward, posing a dangerous circumstance for any cars around it. If that wasn’t a big enough danger, these large trucks may also be carrying hazardous material, placing them at risk for spills should an accident occur.
4. Can I File A Claim For Compensation?
In the state of Texas, individuals have two (2) years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim because of a negligent truck driver or trucking company. If you have been hit and injured in a collision involving an 18-wheeler, commercial truck, or a large vehicle in this fashion, seek legal help from the experienced Houston truck accident lawyers at Lapeze & Johns right away.
You may be eligible for compensation for damages suffered. Filing with a legal team that has years of experience in commercial truck accident claims can improve the ease of your entire legal process so that you can focus on your health and recovery.
5. What Type of Compensation Can I Expect?
Compensation will be awarded according to the overall value of damages victims suffer in the accident. Such damages can include:
- Medical costs, both to date and future
- Surgery, rehabilitation, medicine prescriptions, etc.
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
A knowledgeable attorney can help seek the evidence necessary to build your case, so that you may recover a deserved settlement to bounce back from your injuries as quickly as possible.
Committed Truck Accident Attorneys Serving Houston Truck Accident Victims
Truck accidents can be brutal and are often deadly. Because of this, the negligent parties that are liable for causing them must be held accountable. Our team is devoted to helping victims and their families recover their rightful compensation for the injuries they have suffered.
If you have any other questions concerning truck regulations and accidents, seek additional assistance from our team. With a legacy rooted in justice for truck accident victims in Houston, trust that we will provide the quality care and attention to your unique case.