According to Insurance Journal, there have been over two dozen home explosions since 2006 in Texas, leading to multiple deaths and over 20 individuals badly injured. These accidents are attributed to Atmos Energy Corp., and their largest division, Atmos Mid-Tex.
Texas Gas Accidents
Atmos Energy Corp., one of the largest natural gas companies in the United States, is under fire for multiple state safety violations and for failing to update its piping system, which includes some of the oldest pipes in the country. It is believed that since 2006 more than 24 home explosions in north and central Texas have occurred as a result of the company’s negligence.
These explosions have led to at least 22 injuries and 9 deaths. Atmos Energy has refused to take responsibility, claiming that these accidents were not their doing.
USA TODAY reported, several years ago, that a gas leak had hurt or killed someone, or destroyed a property, every other day over a ten year period.
Dangerous Working Conditions
Naturally, old pipes can lead to gas leaks which is not only dangerous for residential areas, but also for workers in the oil industry and other similar fields like construction. This is especially true for individuals working in confined spaces, where a gas leak can cause major harm to their well being.
Gas leaks can affect workers in a number of ways, causing symptoms such as:
- Irritation of the eyes or throat
- Breathing problems
If you have been affected by a gas leak at work, you may be able to file a workers comp claim with the help from the Houston attorneys at Lapeze & Johns. Also, if you are working in unsafe conditions, you may want to contact OSHA and bring the situation to their attention.
In order to avoid situations like gas leaks, workplace safety procedures should be implemented correctly. Another way to avoid gas leaks is by testing the atmosphere of the workplace before and during any maintenance.
Detecting a Gas Leak
Gas leaks can be nearly undetectable unless you know exactly what you are looking for. Major gas leaks can cause explosions or carbon monoxide poisoning, which is why it is so important to know the signs of a leak, whether at home or the workplace.
There are a few ways that you can tell if your home or workplace has a leak:
- The smell of gas ( though not always).
- Feeling lightheaded, dizzy, or nauseous (if symptoms go away with fresh air, this could be a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning).
- Blown out pilot light.
- Excessive condensation on windows.
- Musty smell in the air.
- Soot or black/brown scorch marks around appliances.
- An orange/yellow burner flame, as opposed to the proper bright blue flame.