On Sunday, August 5th, at approximately 8:30 pm, a five-vehicle collision left 2 dead in Fort Bend County, Texas.
Officials report that a pickup truck and a Ford Explorer were driving along Highway 36 when one of the vehicles tried to make its way into the middle lane and instead collided with the other vehicle, hitting the driver’s side.
Another driver in a pickup attempted to avoid the collision by slamming on the brakes, but this caused the SUV behind it to rear-end the truck. That SUV was also rear-ended by another vehicle, making the total vehicles involved in the crash, five.
Unfortunately, the two drivers of the first collision were pronounced dead on site. The other three drivers survived with no serious injuries. Although the cause of the crash has not yet been determined, deputies have reported that medical examiners are working to determine if alcohol played a part in the first collision.
Keeping Safe on Texas Roads
As per the CDC, motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death in the United States. Here are some additional car accident statistics provided by the site:
- Car crashes cause 100 deaths each day and thousands of more injuries.
- 1 in 3 car accidents in the United States involves a driver with a Blood Alcohol Concentration of 0.08 percent.
- By United States law, a BAC 0.08 percent is considered alcohol impairment – or drunk driving.
With such a high death rate related to collisions on U.S. highways, it is important to drive free from distractions and be cautious of reckless drivers.
Our team wants to offer a few reminders on how to protect yourself and other drivers on the highway:
- Never let you or a loved one get behind the wheel while under the influence. Call a ride instead.
- Do not text or use your cell while you drive and limit other distractions.
- Every driver and passenger should wear a safety belt, no matter the length of the drive.
- Drive with caution and beware of other vehicles, as it is not certain that they are driving with your safety in mind.
Have you or a loved one fallen victim to another party’s reckless or impaired driving? Our experienced Houston car accident attorneys at Lapeze & Johns are committed to getting you the justice you deserve.
Fatal car crashes can alter the lives of innocent people – resulting in damages, injuries, and emotional pain. Our expert car accident and wrongful death lawyers at Lapeze & Johns want to help you get the compensation you deserve. Know that there is hope and recovery ahead. Contact us today at (713) 739-1010 for your free legal consultation.
Source: CW 39 Houston