The 33-year-old driver of a black Chevrolet Silverado pickup crashed into a blue Mazda 626 on Tuesday, June 26, killing the driver and injuring her two children.
Details of the Crash
On June 26, at about 9:15 p.m., Mark Damon Charlot was driving on Calhoun Street when he swerved off the road and struck a vehicle that was waiting at a stop sign. The impact of the accident killed a 40-year-old mother and injured her two children, ages 10 and 16.
The children were taken to a local hospital with minor injuries.
According to authorities, Charlot attempted to flee the scene but was caught by the Houston Police Department later that night. The man is now facing an intoxication manslaughter charge.
Drunk Driving Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, every day, almost 29 individuals are killed in an alcohol-related car accident. Additionally:
- Drunk-driving crashes claim more than 10,000 lives per year.
- An average of 1 alcohol-related fatality occurs every 50 minutes.
- The 25 to 34-year-old age group have the highest rate of drunk drivers.
- In 2016, fatal accidents occured at a rate 3.3 times higher at night compared to during the day.
- Over 1,200 children 14 and younger died in motor vehicle crashes in 2016.
- In Texas, nearly every 20 minutes, someone is hurt or killed in a drunk driving accident.
- Of 17,434 DUI crashes in Texas, Houston had a total of 1,492.
Driving while intoxicated is extremely dangerous and frequently leads to many life changing experiences.
Let the experienced Houston car accident attorneys of Lapeze & Johns deliver the justice you deserve.
The personal injury attorneys of Lapeze & Johns are dedicated to seeking and winning compensation for individuals involved in drunk driving car accidents caused by other negligent parties. Don’t let your pain and suffering go ignored.