Around 11:15 p.m. on August 8th, a motorcycle race on Interstate 10 in Katy ended tragically. Two of the motorcyclists were injured after colliding, leaving one in critical condition.
Details on the Motorcycle Accident
One of the speeding motorcyclists collided into a car. This caused the bike to bounce back and crash into another biker, causing them both to lose control.
It is reported that both riders were admitted to the hospital, one in stable condition and the other in critical condition.
Police reports confirm that the freeway was closed off for a few hours in the morning. As the investigation continues, it is unclear what charges will be made.
Although the guilty party was the motorcyclist in this incident, we want to encourage road safety for both motorcyclists and normal passenger vehicle drivers. Road safety checks and sensible driving can make highways a safer place for all parties.
Motorcycle Freeway Statistics
Motorcyclists should be extra careful on highways because the nature of the vehicle makes them more susceptible to danger. Here are some fatality facts by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Highway Loss Data:
- In 2015, the number of motorcyclist deaths was 29 times the number of deaths of normal passenger car drivers.
- Nearly half of all motorcycle deaths occurred on the weekends and in the evening.
- Nearly 5,000 motorcyclists died in freeway collisions in the year 2016.
Motorcycle Highway Safety Check
There are a number of safety steps and procedures that motorcyclists should take into consideration before getting on their bike:
- Do not operate a motorcycle if you are not properly licensed.
- Practice driving your motorcycle at home and on small roads before taking busy streets and highways.
- Inspect your bike’s condition and only drive if you have checked tire pressure, fluids, lights, etc.
On the Road
- Wear your protective gear, especially a helmet.
- Use your headlights and stay off the middle lane for safety reasons.
- Drive at a safe speed and be courteous of other drivers.
Other drivers should be cautious drivers as well. Not only is your life precious but you can save a life by being extra mindful and cautious while on the road.
Many fatal car accidents occurring on our Texas highways can be prevented. According to an article by the Huffington Post, the top four causes of car accidents are within our control:
- Distracted Driving
- Drunk Driving
- Reckless Driving
Unfortunately, there are reckless drivers who chose to speed and neglect highway safety. Protect yourself by being aware and always wearing your safety belts or helmets, depending on your ride.
Have you suffered injuries, damages, or lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident? Whether you are the rider or a motorcyclist has harmed you, our dedicated attorneys at Lapeze & Johns want to fight for you.
Contact your trustworthy Houston lawyers at Lapeze & Johns today at 713-739-1010.