The human body is very fragile, especially the neck and back area. The tendons, muscles, and ligaments in these regions can be easily damaged in a truck accident, especially in rear-end accidents.
Oftentimes, truck accidents happen suddenly and without warning, leaving victims without the opportunity to brace themselves. Even in a minor accident, the size of a commercial truck can still cause tremendous damage.
When a negligent or distracted truck driver changes your life, you deserve justice and compensation for the injuries you have suffered. When you are in need of a dependable and experienced legal team, look towards the Houston truck accident attorneys of Lapeze & Johns to help you fight for what you deserve.
Common Types of Neck and Back Injuries Victims Suffer From
Common causes of truck accidents can vary from weather conditions to drunk or distracted drivers. When a negligent driver is operating a large truck or commercial vehicle, the results of their behavior can lead to a tragic accident.
In terms of neck or back injuries, the most common types of damages an individual suffers from include:
- Herniated Discs: These types of injuries occur when a discs suffers trauma that causes it to push out into the spinal canal. Herniated discs are common in the lower back but can also occur in the neck. The pain associated with this type of injury will vary depending on the severity of the accident.
- Whiplash: Whiplash injuries occur when the neck and/or head are quickly thrust back and forth.
- Sprain/Strain: Truck accident victims strain their back or neck when tendons, muscles, or ligaments suffer damages as a result of the impact.
- Brain Injury: While not a neck or back injury, if the force of the collision is strong enough to cause a whiplash injury, there is always the potential to suffer a brain injury as well.
Regardless of the severity of your accident, it is in your best interests to seek out medical care if you believe you have suffered a back or neck injury.
Symptoms of a Serious Neck or Back Injury
The following signs and symptoms of a neck or back injury should be taken seriously. They could be signs of bigger health problems that require immediate medical attention.
- Notable pain and swelling in the back or neck region
- Limited mobility
- Inability to sleep
- Lack of hand coordination
- Difficulty walking or keeping balance
- Restricted neck movement
- Serious pain when walking
- Pain from slight touch or movement
- No sign of improvement over time
The effects of these injuries may not be felt for hours or days, so getting treatment early enough can stop some of the more serious issues you could face down the road.
Types of Treatments You May Require Following a Back or Neck Injury
Depending on how serious your truck accident is, you may require various forms of treatment, which can include:
- Medical Care
- Physical Therapy
- Chiropractic Care
- Pain Management
Generally, the more severe your back or neck injury, the greater the compensation you will be able to recover. While there is no set amount of compensation for such an injury, the following factors will play a role in determining how much you will be able to secure:
- The severity of your injury.
- The medical costs associated with the treatment of said injury.
- Lost wages.
- Emotional pain and suffering, mental anguish, and other subjective factors.
- The defendant’s legal liability and your role in the accident.