Blog

Corpus Christi authorities report that one man is dead following a major traffic incident near the Christus Spohn Hospital. The crash was under investigation and traffic was restricted for hours following the accident.

Information About the Motorcycle Accident

According to the Corpus Christi Police Department, one 20-year-old man is dead following a collision involving a motorcycle on the 6100 block of Saratoga Boulevard. The accident also involved a woman driving a brown suburban. The suburban driver was not injured in the crash, and according to the police, she isn’t facing any charges.

All westbound lanes of Saratoga Boulevard were closed for several hours following the crash as the police investigated the event.

Motorcycle Accidents in Texas, by the Numbers

Across the board, Texas tends to fall towards the bottom of the list when it comes to many different aspects of road safety, and motorcycle accidents are no exception.

According to Ride Apart, Texas ranked as the 2nd most dangerous state in the country in 2017. This rank is based on a comparison of registered motorcyclists to motorcycle fatalities, with Texas seeing 13.44 motorcycle fatalities per 10,000 registered motorcyclists that year.

For residents of the state, there is some cause for optimism. According to data reported by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), Texas saw the lowest number of motorcycle fatalities in more than a decade in 2019. To put this into perspective, motorcyclist fatalities peaked in 2013 with 503 deaths, whereas in 2019, there were 410 motorcyclist fatalities.

Of those fatalities, the vast majority were of the motorcycle drivers themselves. Driver deaths accounted for 96% of motorcyclist fatalities in 2019, with the remaining 4% being passengers.

Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents

Motorcycle accidents in the state are down, but Texans still need to do their part to help keep motorcyclists safe on the road. The first step to avoiding these accidents is being aware of the common situations that lead to them, such as the following:

  • Excess Speed — Contributing to countless types of car accidents, speeding can reduce reaction times and make accidents more deadly.
  • Sudden Stops — Sudden decelerations and sudden stops can lead to serious and potentially life-threatening rear-end accidents.
  • Driving While Intoxicated — Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol not only increases your risk of a crash, it also means that any crashes you cause could lead to charges.
  • Lane Splitting — Lane splitting–or driving between two lanes–is not only dangerous, it is also illegal in Texas.
  • Defective Motorcycles — Manufacturer defects and improper upkeep can both contribute to motorcycle crashes, and the former could mean someone is liable for the crash.
  • Underexperienced Drivers — Drivers who don’t have enough guided experience on motorcycles are more likely to make unsafe driving choices, putting others on the road at risk as well.
  • Car Doors — It might sound like a box-office cliché, but car doors do contribute motorcycle accidents every year.
  • Unsafe Lane Changes — Failing to properly check your surroundings before making lane changes can lead to serious collisions.
  • Left Turn Accidents — Misjudgements by motorcyclists and other drivers regarding right-of-way are another common factor in motorcycle accidents.
  • Road Conditions — From potholes to surface water, there are many road conditions that can make driving a motorcycle more dangerous.

If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident in Texas, contact the Houston car accident attorneys of Lapeze & Johns for help with insurance negotiations or litigation.

Book Your FREE Consultation Now

Source: KIIITV

 

About Keith Lapeze

Keith Lapeze co-founded Lapeze & Johns with the focus of delivering dependable legal services to individuals hurt in accidents caused by negligence. After graduating third in his class from Louisiana State University Law Center, Mr. Lapeze continued his calling through commercial, environmental, and tort litigation where he is admitted to practice in both Texas and Louisiana, the United States Supreme Court, and the Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Read more about Keith Lapeze here.

Before You Leave

Check in first with our Legal Assistant for guidance in your personal injury case.

Start Now

Holler Box