Local news reports state that a man on a wheelchair was hit by a commercial truck on August 9th in east Houston. This accident happened at approximately 3:20 p.m. along Interstate 10 as the driver was turning south on Federal Road.
According to the driver, he did look both ways before turning but, unfortunately, the victim attempted to cross regardless. Investigators have reported that the victim did have poor eyesight.
The injured man was rushed to Memorial Hermann Hospital. No further information has been released on the victim’s conditions.
The truck was operated for Gulf Winds International. The Houston Police Department continues to investigate this commercial truck accident.
What Makes Commercial Trucks So Dangerous?
There are a number of factors that make commercial truck accidents so dangerous, especially when they involve a passenger vehicle or pedestrian. These include:
- Commercial trucks (18-wheelers) can weigh up to 80,000 pounds.
- Semi-trucks with their trailers can measure 55 feet long and 10 feet wide.
- These commercial trucks can carry hazardous materials.
- Drivers are often behind the wheel for extended periods and with little rest.
- Smaller vehicles and pedestrians can go unseen because of the sheer size of the vehicle.
Truck Accident Statistics
Due to their size and weight, semi-trucks accidents are extremely life-threatening and can cause considerable amounts of damages and injuries.
According to Truck Accident Statistics, approximately 130,000 people suffer injuries from commercial truck accidents each year. These massive trucks are a danger to normal passenger cars and pedestrians.
Additional statistics provided by Consumer Safety include:
- In the United States, there are 500,000 truck accidents each year.
- A majority of the fatalities that occur are the passengers of traditional cars.
- Common causes of the accidents include weather, driver health, driver distractions, truck mechanics, and driver fatigue.
- Billions are spent annually on driver and civilian safety.
Commercial truck accidents can be much more serious and legally complex than the average car accident. While in a “regular” accident, the victim would generally just sue the other driver, but in the case of a semi-truck accident, there may be multiple parties that can be held responsible.
Trucking companies must follow specific federal and state regulations. Large monetary sums are available to those injured by a truck driver who broke regulations and caused the accident. You need professional legal help to defend your case.
Involved in a Commercial Truck Accident?
If you have been involved in a commercial truck accident, then please consider taking the following steps:
- Pull over and call authorities immediately.
- Get help for your injuries and make a report with the police.
- If you are not injured and are safely able to to do so, take pictures of the accident and exchange information with the trucker.
- Contact an experienced and qualified personal injury lawyer for advice and assistance.
If you are the victim of a commercial truck accident, our experienced Houston truck accident lawyers at Lapeze & Johns can help you take appropriate legal action to receive the compensation and justice you deserve.
Truck accidents can be extremely dangerous and life-altering. Considerable compensation is available for the victims of this type of accident. Injuries may be severe, so let our dedicated attorneys deal with the details while you recover.
Source: The Chronicle