On Monday, October 12th, a 17-year-old male was killed after being hit by an 18-wheeler that failed to yield at a stop sign.
Details About the Incident
According to local authorities, the accident occurred just before 5:30 p.m. on the 1500 block of Brittmoore Road in West Houston.
The 17-year-old male was driving a four-door sedan when he was struck by an oncoming 18-wheeler that ran a stop sign at an intersection. As a result of the collision, the 18-wheeler ran into a power pole and spilled its fuel, which temporarily caused a power outage in the surrounding areas.
There are reports that a third-party was involved in the accident, but authorities have not yet released any information regarding the identity of that driver nor their current condition.
The accident is being investigated by local authorities.
The Catastrophic Dangers of Ignoring Traffic Signs
Perhaps one of the biggest mistakes a driver can commit is to fail to comply with traffic signs or lights. Traffic signs are specifically built and implemented by local authorities for the purpose of regulating the roadway, and to ensure the safety of drivers, bike riders, and pedestrians.
At times, and for a number of reasons, many drivers either fail to notice or simply fail to comply with these signs, both of which can lead to a costly and catastrophic tragedy.
According to a research study conducted by the Insurance Information Institute, it was reported that in 2018, there were a total of 1,990 preventable deaths in the United States as a result of a negligent driver failing to comply with a traffic sign or light.
Why Drivers Ignore Stop Signs
- Failure-to-yield: There are 1’000s of lives lost across U.S. roadways as a result of drivers failing to yield when designated to do so.
- Failing to stop at a 2-way intersection: While one driver may comply with a traffic sign, the other vehicle may not. This failure to yield the right-of-way can lead to a collision.
- Intoxicated driving: At times, many people selfishly decide to get behind the wheel when under-the-influence of drugs or alcohol. This endangers not only themselves but others on the road due to their impaired state of mind.
- Reckless or impatient driving: Reckless drivers maneuver their way in traffic in an inadequate manner or drive recklessly at high speeds. This can lead to a serious accident if they run either a traffic sign or a stoplight.
- Distracted driving: Focusing on other things such as texting, eating, drinking, or searching for an item while driving can all lead to a driver failing to miss a traffic sign. It is vital to keep your eyes and hands on the road at all times and follow all designated traffic signs in order to ensure your safety and the safety of others.
Houston Car Accident Attorneys Ready to Seek Justice for Your Loved One!
In the event of an unexpected tragedy where your loved one’s life gets taken away, you and your family are entitled to file a wrongful death claim. The Houston car accident and wrongful death attorneys of Lapeze & Johns are here to serve you.
Do not let justice go unanswered! Contact Lapeze & Johns today to schedule your FREE, no-obligation case evaluation!
Source: ABC 13